Sunday, August 5, 2007

L to the Azy

Oh lazy Sundays, how I love you.

Today I woke up and with four friends decided to see how far down the road out thumbs could take us so I gathered my snorkeling gear and camera and headed out to the central road of the island.

It didn’t take long for someone to stop and pick us up.

“You WorldTeach?” He asked. “I always help the WorldTeach.”

We climbed into the back of his red pickup and cruised out along the narrow road further than any of us had been before. As we drove along we saw family after family of Marshallese enjoying their day of rest. Most people simply DO NOT work here on Sunday so it is a day of rest and religion.

At a parking lot a few miles down the road the man pulled over and we hopped out. We walked down to the shore and spotted some pristine, white-sand beaches further down the way so we hiked on.

With the sun was beating down heavily on our backs I was getting very eager to jump into the water but as we got further and further from the parking lot the bushes and trees along the sand started filling up with the rustlings of little kids. From out of nowhere the bushes parted and a young boy hopped out.

“Yakwe!” he shouted to us.

Mikey was 13 years old and as I sat on a log with him and regarded the horizon he asked me, “you like coconuts?” to which I shook my head yes. Mikey counted out how many people were in our group and ran off.

As we waited the sky mixed and contorted on itself and darkened quickly.

When Mikey returned with his arms brimming with husked coconuts the storm was over us. We all scurried into a fort that Mikey had made and watched the world turn itself over as we sipped on sweet coconut milk.

Not bad for a Sunday afternoon.

The love you give comes back in the end.
--------------------------------------------------------

2 comments:

slane said...

How does one get a truck to the Marshall Islands? Sweet times with coconut juice.

tim said...

i don't know, perhaps ships?