Sunday, September 7, 2008

Are You On The List?

"Are you on the List?"
"I think I am."
"What's your name?"
"Tim Lane."
"OK. Stand back. No further. Stand there. Wait there." 
There are people everywhere. The music is heavy. I breath a little quick from riding my bike. This guy is too small to be a bouncer. What is the world coming to now that this guy's a bouncer?
"Let me see some ID."
"Here."
"OK. Is he your plus one?"
"Yeah."
"OK. Go in."
Dancing and drinking. Lights everywhere. People in sun glasses in too-dark corners. Ladies in tight jeans. Men in tight jeans. Everyone is just too cool. I'm too cool.
"Ain't nothing but the hard life for us, huh Tim?"
"You go that right, Hump."
"We're on the List."
"We're on the Goddamned list!"
Stand in line, get a drink. Five choices. I'll take that one, and then I'll have that one later.
"No, no, no, you don't have to pay. I know your cousin."
"You sure?"
"Very."
"Nothing but the hard life for us, Hump."
"We're on the List."
To the dance floor. Move your feet. Look to the lights. The DJ is moving behind the table, dancing her fingers on the keyboard. She's the best in town, everyone says so. Everyone is sweating. Damn I should have worn a cooler shirt. I'm tired. I'm young. I should turn this town out. The artist's life?
"Let's get out of here."
"Let's roll."
Bike home alone. Streets pulsing until the neighborhoods. Everything is quiet there. Did you set the trash out? Breeze on my face. Night seems to breath.

1 comment:

James Pozdena said...

Damn it... you night was so much better..