Saturday, April 4, 2009

Lost in Suburbia

So moving back in the Rents has been interesting so far. First off, all houses in this neighborhood look exactly the same! I feel as though I am in a low-budget video game where the background is on a loop.
Two days ago I walked back from the Max station around 11 pm and couldn't find the place. I went in circles for close to an hour, passing by the same set of stone benches at least four times, cursing louder on each go-around.
So frustrating.
Then I finally got home and parked outside the place was an Oldsmobile Cutlass. As I walked by, I looked into the windows and saw an elderly couple just sitting there, staring straight ahead. It was midnight by this point, and it was odd.
I went up into the condo and peeped on the couple from a window a la Alfred Hitchcock and didn't see any move from either of them for a good twenty minutes until finally, without warning, the lady got out of the car and stormed off.
Then last night I was coming home at 1:20 am but the MAX stopped about four stations before my stop.
"This is all she wrote," the worker in his green vest said.
Luckily I had my bike, but still, I was lost. I meandered along side streets, trying to keep the MAX tracks in sight the entire time until finally, at 3:05 am I got home.
The commute is killing me.

No comments: