Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Taxi!

On my way home from work today there were two men a few blocks up the street trying to get a cab. None would stop for them. When I came by they stopped me.
"Hey look, man," the short one said, licking his lips, "could you get a cab for us?"
"A cab?" I said and played dumb.
"Yeah, a cab."
"Why can't you just get your own?"
"Cause we black, man, they won't stop for us."
"You think they'll stop for me?"
He laughed and his friend did too. "Yeah, all you got to do is put your hand up, they'll stop for you."
So I did. I put up my hand and a cab pulled right up. I made eye contact with the cabbie as the two men climbed in the back. His eyes looked hurt.
"We are going to 30th street," I heard the man in the back seat say. The cab pulled away.
I got on the subway and went home.

2 comments:

Amberlynn said...

First, I have to say the photo topping your blog right now is ADORABLE!

Secondly, if you have any interested in reading a thoughtful blog on race relations, I thought I'd share: Pages From My Notebook

slane said...

race is still an issue in how people treat each other. too bad we are not color blind.