Friday, July 20, 2007

Greyhound, or better said: Grrrrhound

So I just got off a whirwind journy on the Greyhound that had me waiting, waiting, sitting, cramping, waiting, smelling, stinking, and guess what...WAITING.

It was my idea in the first place to go Greyhound and save some money and I convinced Dan to tag along, but after missing bus after bus after bus because they either overbooked it or were very, very late I realized that in the battle of saving money vs. traveling in a sane manner traveling ALWAYS wins.

Here is a log of the texts I sent out to family and friends to keep my mind occupied on the long journy:

July 20, 12 a.m.

Just got into Roseburg. Hope to get some sleep now.

July 20, 1:24 a.m.

Now I am in Grants Pass. Arm hurts from hugging pillow. Old couple next to me is cool. They hold hands and peel apples for each other.

July 20, 2:48 a.m.

Made it through Medford. Have two seats to myself now which is nice. Had to start blowing nose in pillow case. Desperate times.

July 20, 7:10 a.m.

75 miles outside of Sacramento and Cruising. Dan is on a different bus and I have no idea where he is. The whole bus is sleeping and everyone sure looks nicer when they are drooling.

July 20, 8:26 a.m.

Sac town station is clean and safe. I will wait for Dan here. Maybe work on a crossword for three hours.

July 20, 12:34 p.m.

Finally on the road with Dan after 5 hours waiting in Sac town.

July 20, 2:41 p.m.

South of Modesto with Dan and driver who goes a little heavy on the AC. I can see my breath. Flight is in the morning.

July 20, 4:46 p.m.

Hello and goodbye Fresno. Just picked up a new driver. Sorry to see Bruce go. He said some funny things when he talked to himself.

July 20, 6 p.m.

This is slowly turning to hell. Bus is absoultly packed and Dan smells.

July 20, 7:54 p.m.

Out of Bakersfield and 100 miles until LA. Dan has reverted to chewing his jacket out of frustration.

July 20, 10:18 p.m.

In Taxi and on the way to sweet, sweet beds. No more Greyhound hustle and bustle for us.

So there you have it. Now I am sitting with fresh shower water pleasantly drying in my hair, enjoying some of my last US comfort.

The love you give comes back in the end.
--------------------------------------------------------

1 comment:

Tom said...

Tim, please post photo of my Becker surfboard in the islands. I miss her (oh, and you too).