Monday, June 9, 2008

Driving Home from Eugene

So I am driving home from Eugene and I stop in a gas station to use the bathroom. In the bathroom there are two stalls. I take stall one, and in stall two there is a very large and dirty man (judging from his tattered work boots). Well, I am sitting there and he's sitting there and we are doing our respective business and all is right with the world.

Suddenly someone comes into the bathroom and slams on each of the stall doors in turn. When he slams into mine I say nothing and continue to concentrate on the matter at hand. My friend to the right however, chooses a different strategy.

"What the hell are you doing?" he shouts out.

"Checking to see if there was someone in there," answers the stranger outside the stalls. "What's it to you."

"Well, haven't you heard of knocking, you prick," my porcelain neighbor says. An important word to note here is "prick," because he was the first to resort to vulgarities.

"Hey, listen you f**king a**hole, if you got a problem then I'll be waiting for you outside," the other guys says. By now the whole situation is intense, and I think that everyone is tensed up, which is a problem because being tensed up doesn't usually jive with the sort of things that go down in a bathroom stall if you catch what I am saying, and I think that you do.

Well, the newcomer goes storming off and me and the guy next to me are thankfully in silence again. I got "back to work" so to speak, hoping that all the drama is behind me when I hear a whisper from the stall over.

"Can you believe that a**hole?" the guy asks.

I didn't answer. How could I? I can't imagine a more uncomfortable place to have a conversation then perched bare-butted over a swirling body of water in a gas station bathroom with loogies spotting the floor and used Bandaides taped to the stall walls.

Well I cleaned up, pulled myself together and got out of the stall to wash up my hands. The thought crossed my mind that the two men had not even seen each other's faces. When I left the bathroom I could be clocked in the side of the head.

I left from the side door just in case.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Dear Son, How many times do I have to tell you....McDonalds. Clean, predictable. I love you, infinity, MOM

Mom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.