Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The PROPOSAL





Just to fill in anyone who doesn't already know, Tiff and I ARE GETTING MARRIED. Excuse the various "mix-tape" of photos about to appear next to this text (I am not trying to be self-involved here, or maybe I am, but who cares) but I couldn't be happier that she said yes.

I was so nervous the entire day leading up to the proposal. That basically means I was very monotone in all verbal communication with her and never went in depth about anything. We climbed to top of Mary's Peak and I pretended to put the camera on a timer to take a photo (sneaky me, it was actually on video).
"I don't think it's working," Tiff said.

I got down on two knees (in my jumble of nerves I'd forgotten that one knee was the usual custom) and said, "Tiffany..."
"This isn't funny," she said. (In her defense, I had joked about proposing to her once in Mexico so she suspected this was another stab at humor).
I pulled out the ring. "I am not joking," I said. "fdkjfsd dkfjskld fdjk dkfj kj dkfd dkfj, dfkjein, sldkfdfjlkjdf."*

Then she realized I was serious.
"Of course," she said.

And that was it! I am so happy to be with the love of my life. I couldn't ask for a better partner to explore the world and life with. I am in love with her in a profound way that I didn't know my body had the capacity to feel. It is amazing and I seriously recommend it to all (just find your own girl!).

Later when we were celebrating with friends I shouted out, "This is the woman I am going to marry!" They all cheered. Then I yelled, "This is the woman who will have my babies!" And there were crickets.
"Too far," my friend, Poz said.

So there you have it! I'll keep you all updated on wedding plans.

Photo 1: Taken about a month into our relationship. I was very eager to impress... The whole thing seemed impossible. She was set to move to Mexico for the summer and shortly after she got back, I was going to move to Spain. Many long talks and tear-filled nights. It all worked out well!

Photo 2: Taken about six months into our relationship. She came up to Portland and we went for a pre-Christmas walk.

Photo 3: Drinking champagne and eating sushi (thanks Dan, Brian, Shelby, Lisa, and Poz for setting that up!)

Photo 4: On Mary's Peak right after she said, YES.

*Actual speech cut to maintain the moment private between my fiance and myself.

4 comments:

Abi said...

You bring tears to my eyes! I am so absolutely happy for you and I couldn't recommend marriage more!

Laurie said...

Great news Tim!

Laurie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tiffany Leigh Speer said...

It was perfect.