Monday, July 7, 2008

Survive This!

Camping over the weekend was awesome. Tiffany, Abi, Brian and I all got down to the coast around one in the afternoon and I took my cousins on a survival hike where our main objective was to be tougher than Bear Grylls, the host of the Discovery Channel’s show “Man vs. Wild.”

Man, did we succeed.

I took those kids up and down steep, crumbling slopes of sandstone, up perilous rope climes and around the edge of an angry ocean inlet. At one point one of my cousins was flat on his stomach on a steep slope. He hugged the hill so as to not slip down.

“Keep your hips in and roll over to your back!” I yelled to him.

“I’m not rolling,” he screamed, “I already got the front of my shirt dirty, I got to keep the back clean.”

Well, eventually we made it to the end of our journey. It turned out just in time too, because my family was considering calling the Coast Guard, which I think was a joke, but you never can tell.
-----------

I’m pretty sure that doing this grad program and fitting in the other things that I want to do in life like working a part time job and most importantly writing creatively, is possible, but only if I make sure and keep my nose to the grindstone on schedule keeping.

Well, this past weekend I went camping for the entire time and didn’t crack the books as I should have. I am hurting today. My eyes are droopy and I think that at this point there is more caffeine in my bloodstream than blood.

Oh well, this too will pass.

Got to stay awake.

No comments: