Saturday, August 2, 2008

Here We Go

OK, I have dropped out of school.

Well, I guess you could call it taking a year off...

Either way, I am not going back to the University of Portland in the Fall. I have decided to take a year and devote it to writing. Full on. Nothing else. Just me and writing. My friends have already given me the nickname of "Flunkie," or "Droppy." Well, actually only Dan calls me "Droppy," and I am almost certain that is not going to stick. It is all in good fun.

I am going to dive in. Splash in. Jump in. Whatever I want to call it, I am going for it.

My rational is this: I am a big fan of dreams. As corny as that sounds, I think that everyone should go for theirs. Later on, when I want to be a father, I know that I am going to tell my kids, "hey little tykes, you can do anything that you can put your mind to," and I will not be able to legitimately say that to my little guys if I know that I cannot say that I didn't give it an honest shot myself.

I have a few ideas of how I am going to try and get this done...

1. Write. (Sounds simple, I know, but sometimes I think that this can be the toughest part).

2. Read. (It has recently come to my attention that I don't take enough time to read literary magazines. Apparently I feel comfortable to send my stories off to places that I have never read. I need to change that).

3. Talk to other writers. (I need to know what is working for them, what is not working for them, and everything in between. I want to help people out when I enjoy their work, just like I would hope they'd help me.)

That is where I am going to start. Those three main avenues. We will see how this goes. I woke up giddy this morning.

3 comments:

Amberlynn said...

Congratulations! I am so proud of you. When you wake up giddy, you KNOW you've made the right choice. I have been impressed with your writing thus far, and I'm also excited for you to throw yourself in full time. Wahoo!

slane said...

Dear Son,
I love you and your decision. You will never have to wonder. See you soon. MOM

E.T. said...

Good luck. As someone with a similar dream, I'm pulling for ya.